15 January 2015

Taming the Beast


hungry monster, born
feast of folly and form
I write with my body
naked and warm
I sing with my face,
I scream at the the storm
terrified of pleasure
fat-nourished by shame
this beast is my burden
one and the same
a leviathan of truth
nobody to blame
my hands are the cauldron
my spirit, the flame





From 2012 thru 2014, I was in grad school, an MFA program in Interdisciplinary Arts. My primary areas of study started with creative writing and land art. But quickly I realized that the real thing I needed to learn was how to overcome the negative self-talk that was serving as a massive block to my overall creativity. I dove into a study of trauma recovery, connecting that to a daily yoga practice, and responding with my writing and artwork. This poem and painting are from the intro to my final MFA portfolio. I will be posting more excerpts and artworks from that portfolio over the next few weeks. Let me know what you think!

No comments: